[UK-CONTEST] 70cms Transceiver

John Lemay john at carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 01:01:15 PST 2010

Hi Jim

I've used the TS2000 and FT847 on 70cms occasionally. These
"shack-in-the-box" rigs are something of a compromise and they are not
particularly sensitive or selective. They will certainly need a mast-head
amplifier if you wish to be competitive, but that imposes on the already
rather limited dynamic range.

The 847 is no longer being produced, although you may well find a new one at
a dealer. It's rumoured that the 2000 will be replaced shortly, but you may
not want a brand new design with possible teething problems.

For versatility and good performance, a decent HF rig plus transverter is
the way to go. Think along the lines of FT-1000mp plus DEM or DB6NT
transverter.

Regards

John G4ZTR