[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

Gerry Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 15:05:45 PST 2010

Colin Wilson wrote:
> For me I think a good  CQ rate is
> between 26-28wpm, most can read this with ease and its fast enough to keep
> your rates up
It depends what you mean by a "good CQ rate".  One could argue that a
good CQ speed is one at which both you and the people calling you are
comfortable.  And if 26-28 wpm is the speed you're happy operating at,
good for you.  Ultimately contesting is a hobby and the way that
maximises your enjoyment of it is the right way to do it.

However, if you're talking about winning contests, your hypothesis is
arguable from G.  Arguable, although not an argument I would agree with
in any big rate contest on 80 and up.  (160 and BERU are different!)
However, from the Caribbean in WW or ARRL CW, it isn't even close to
being fast enough to either maximise the score or maximise the number of
people who get to work your multiplier.  Hell, from a decent station in
GI it isn't even close to being fast enough in peak propagation periods.

You cannot work four people a minute on CW if you're sending at 28 wpm.
Simple as.

If the band is wide open and you've just been spotted, one can run quite
successfully from the Caribbean at 42 wpm.  At G6PZ I had the keyer up
to about 36 wpm after a few early cluster spots in last year's WW CW and
it was the right thing to do.  Yes, it scares some people off, but if
the pileup is getting too big to manage that's exactly what you want to
do.  Joe Slow with his hand cranked 16 wpm will not slow down the rate
in the middle of a big pileup (chaos *WILL* result, and screw things up
for everyone), and if things thin out you can and should always back off
the speed a little and he can get you then.

A contest is (and the name should be a giveaway here) a competitive
activity.  Not a QSO party, a DX propagation challenge or a means of
introducing newcomers to CW.  I remember starting in contesting and not
being able to copy the guys blurring away at what was probably only
around 30 wpm.  But there were, and still are, plenty of slower ops to
pick off up the band for beginners, and like in any other competitive
activity, one achieves more as one's skill level improves.  The way to
get more people active in contesting is to have enough challenges for
them to do once they get through the beginners phase - *not* to limit
everyone to a mediocre level of skill.

Have a listen to where the really chaotic pileups occur in the next big
contest - is it on the guys sending at 40 wpm (and contrary to the
nonsense I hear on this reflector after every major contest, the only
operator I've ever heard send much faster than that was 4L5A at D4B) or
is it on the guys sending at 18 wpm?

As far as speeded up reports go, I'm with EI5DI.  I cannot understand
the weird obsession G3SJJ has with attacking this.  I've done it, I
don't do it any more, but I can't see what the big issue is.  Are you
really worried that RU1A is going to give you a 589 report or something?

Oh, and yes, there were some disgustingly broad signals on 15 last
weekend.  I'd add RL3A to the list of offenders.  But kudos to the E7
station (can't remember the callsign, sorry) who I called to tell had 5
kHz clicks who immediately adjusted something and returned to normality.

73

Gerry GI0RTN