[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

Colin Wilson colin at sheffield-live.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 08:15:12 PST 2010

Gerry

I knew someone would fire a full broadside in my direction!
Sorry but I disagree with most of your statements below.  Perhaps the use of
"good rate"  was not correct what I should say I guess is that its an ideal
speed at which even new operators to CW contesting can cope with. (or even
some old hands for that matter!). Yes its a contest but please remember we
do this for fun, it is after all a hobby!  Now I'm not saying that we
shouldn't aim to win every time but its not always about speed, there are
other factors to consider too if you want to maximise your score! Speeding
up number i.e., RST and serial number is possible as even new CW ops can
usually cope with faster CW when it comes to numbers! I have to say that
most people do send 599 unless your on a VHF or UHF contest then you can
expect to get a real report! (I found this out recently in the UKAC as this
was my first time entry this year!)
Now this leads me to working from a DX side of the pile up, yes they can be
great fun and yes they can fall apart very easily if not controlled but
doing it at 42wpm is not going cut it I'm afraid, in my opinion its better
to TX at a speed that everyone in the pile up can read first time, its bad
enough trying to copy callsigns in pile ups and getting them right first
time with real QRM and some times QSB, there is no point in leaving someone
wondering if they got the right details they needed and that I have their
call correct in the log! Worse still is having to repeat it over and over
until they do get it either way its slows the rate down but lets face it
unless the QSO is right in both logs then you need not bother having it!
Unfortunately the use of the DX cluster can be a problem and more and more
we see stations calling not having a clue even if they can hear the DX
station and just hope that they get in the log! If by some pure chance they
can hear the the DX station but cant read the CW as its too fast for them,
they will call anyway and if they do hear a bit of their call come back they
will automatically respond, if the timing of the QSO is okay then they will
put a tick in the box of their DXCC and await the confirmation of a QSL
card!. How often have you seen on this and other reflectors statements like
"I think I'm in the log", this of course can be for any number of reasons
but very often they are just not 100% that it was their call that came back!
I will always try to give everyone a chance in a contest and all I'm trying
to say is to stay flexible and "keep it sensible" and remember not everyone
can read 42wpm!

73

Colin G3VCQ/J38CW
www.sheffield-live.co.uk