[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

Clive GM3POI gm3poi2 at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 24 02:12:10 PST 2010

I too subscribe to riding the speed control, in my
case roughly between 27-30wpm.
    I find that the last 10 limit has more to do with
the amount of callers than the sending speed. I seem
to remember that Frank LPL uses about 28 wpm and
thereby catches a lot of slower speed contesters.
    I didn't have a problem from a rig point of view
during the contest. What concerned me was the amount
of crappy signals that were about  and in particular
those containing multiple frequencies. I found that
from a strong signal point of view I could easily
work 500hz aware, but usually there was a spurious or
two every few hundred hertz. Often these were down at
the sort of strength the weaker West coast stations
would come in at.  I fear that some are using audio
tones to key there rigs and not low distortion ones
at that.  73 Clive GM3POI