[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

Gerry Lynch me at gerrylynch.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 05:25:23 PST 2010

On Feb 24 2010, Clive GM3POI wrote:

>    I find that the last 10 limit has more to do with
>the amount of callers than the sending speed. I seem
>to remember that Frank LPL uses about 28 wpm and
>thereby catches a lot of slower speed contesters.

I think we're all agreeing with one another that it's a case of horses for
courses.

Individual stations in multi-multis have much lower rates than serious
SOABHP or multi-single efforts from the same locations. In a multi-multi
effort from the US, no individual band station will ever have a
particularly high rate - maybe the odd hour at around 180 as bands open to
Europe on Saturday. Of course they suffer from not being able to work
snappy American operators with short callsigns, the essential prerequisite
for really high rate! The skill of US multi-multi operators isn't in their
capacity to run at super high rates, but in their situational awareness,
ability to pass mults, work a band absolutely clean and co-ordinate between
the run operator and 'sweeper' working the same band... and that's before
we talk about station design and contest strategy. Clearly I can see the
logic in sending at 28 wpm (and less) from a US multi-multi, especially if
the band in question isn't open to Europe and you're trying to coax a few
extra QSOs in a 20-40 hour from South America, Japan or VK/ZL.

Remember also that because US stations can't work other US stations in
CQWW, their QSO totals tend to be much lower than European stations, let
alone North African or Caribbean stations. Again, that's not to say less
skillful but to some degree different skills.

The sort of rate you need to knock out for a world, or even these days
European, win in the SO or M/S categories is a different kettle of fish
entirely. Putting together a whole hour of 240 rate is more difficult than
knocking out the odd 5 QSO minute. If you listen to the peak hour
recordings from people like CN2R and CT1BOH, they're regularly having 6 QSO
minutes in peak US propagation periods. Find me a recent WWCW world single
op winner who ever CQs at 28 wpm except on 160 and I will concede
gracefully. But I bet you can't.

The reason why I got a bit snattery last night is because this is the
second major CW contest in a row where I've listened to people complaining
on this list about people operating too quickly. Well, people are entitled
to their opinion, but I'm entitled to disagree!

(And, although I'm wondering whether I'm wise to say this, I reckon there
may be a bit of a generation gap in evidence here...)

73

Gerry GI0RTN