[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 24 04:48:01 PST 2010

Steve, I guess you are confirming what I said in my response to Colin
G3VCW that each contest has its own character and that different times
in a contest will require a different approach. From that point of view
I agree with Dennis F5VHY and Clive GM3POI that having the flexibility
to adjust the overall speed of the CQ or Exchange is important. This is
why I don't agree with speeding up just sections of a "canned" message
and then spending all the contest sending at those same speed settings,
irrespective of whether stations are being worked or not.

You need the flexibility to increase speed and rate, and I prefer to do
it the same as Clive and Dennis by using Page Up Page Down keys to
control overall speed as and when required, but like you say the rhythm
is important also.

Something else I have found is that I prefer to link the key (paddle)
speed with the "canned" message speed, and again use PageUp/Down if
required. At one stage I used to have external keyer speed different but
found that it often resulted in a high error rate whilst mentally trying
to adjust from one to the other.

Chris G3SJJ

--

Visit the new FOC website at  http://www.g4foc.org/