[UK-CONTEST] CW Speed etc...

Dez Watson dez.zc4dw at virgin.net
Wed Feb 24 11:16:35 PST 2010

Thank goodness there is such a diversity on contests!

Generally BERU, sorry, the Commonwealth Contest would demands a
different approach regarding CW speed to say ARRL DX.
IOTA with it's longer exchange is different yet again.

 From past experience to knock out 4 or 5 thousand qso's in a weekend
one certainly has to crack on in the mid 30's, faster perhaps when 10m
and 15m
are wide open, maybe slower on 80m and slower still for 160. Each
contest, the target area, band conditions, size of pile all contribute
to the optimum speed -
whatever that may be.

I personally don't have a problem with speeding up the RST, it's largely
superfluous. And cut numbers, well try learning them - they're almost as
old as Morse itself, however using them in the callsigns is a definite
NO NO!

Definitely horses for courses and I tend to sit with Gerry RTN and Steve
VMW on this one, but many won't.

73

Dez, G3WW

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4893 (20100224) __________