[UK-CONTEST] The first 144MHz UKAC of 2010

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 03:05:17 PST 2010

Hi all,

Late but still valid comment I think.

The evening netted 63 qso's, 8 in Europe, all the rest were G, no
GM,GD,GI,GW or EI. Only one in IO83. Due to lack of EU contacts, did in fact
spend most of the contest looking for stations in the north west to no
avail. Either calling CQ, or search & pounce. This seems to be a trend from
here, difficult to work anything north of Birmingham, I am screened in the
general direction of NW. So it's not through lack of trying. I noticed G8APB
was quite high up the claimed scores, but not a peep from him, or GD8EXI.
Conditions weren't the best however.

The increase in activity has caused a few problems finding a clear frequency
to call on. Most of the problems are innocent, stations co-channel just
don't hear each other initially due to beam headings. So don't get "out of
the pram" if you find this happening to you, both of you could have been on
the same frequency for 30 mins or more without interference, before turning
the beam and discovering " your" frequency was occupied. A case in point.
I'm in search and pounce mode, hear a weak DL in JN49 calling CQ, it could
have been a GM/GI, a UK station comes up and says "is the frequency
occupied" (well done that man) I say "yes", he says "I can't hear anything",
I say "there's a DL on here calling CQ", he says "oh ok" and goes off to
find a frequency. All quite innocent and aimiable.

If you keep an eye on the cluster, you'll find some of the "bigger" stations
will get spotted by non-contesters, or europeans. In chosing your frequency
to call, it may be prudent to avoid the spotted frequency. At the end of the
day, 200Khz (144.15 to 144.35) isn't enough for all to have a truly clear
frequency, so it's compromise.

As for how close is too close, 2.5Khz is reasonable, but unfortunately a lot
of the modern black boxes aren't too clever on TX, add an amp not set
up/driven properly and high gain antennas, you start looking at a lot more
bandwidth you can't use for receive.

73

Bob G8HGN JO01fo