[UK-CONTEST] AFS - operating out of band

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Jan 17 04:35:47 PST 2010

On 17 Jan 2010 at 9:45, Alex GM3ZBE wrote:

> The Iaru bandplan indicates the areas 3600 to 3650 and 3700 to 3750 as
> "Contest preferred" segments, whatever that means.  Some people take
> itas meaning that the segment from 3650 to 3700 should not be used for
> contest qso's.

Yes, "contest preferred" does not necessarily mean other frequencies
cannot  be used as well...

I suspect the AFS frequencies need to be reviewed. In the CW segment
the rules say 3510-3590 with the QRS corral around 3580. But 3580 and
above is heavily used by RTTY and other data modes and last weekend
3580 was not a sensible place for our slower operators - I heard very
little above 3575.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com