[UK-CONTEST] AFS deliberate QRM

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 17 08:05:32 PST 2010

I find that deliberate QRM during contest operating to be very low. It
is very much worse working rare DX or DXpeditions. There has always been
the odd SSTV person who thinks they own the frequency around 3727 to
3735. If I operate on say 3530 outside contests and get deliberately
QRM'd I stay even longer than I would normally so it becomes counter
productive for the QRMer.

On the local club net this morning we were talking about AFS SSB and I
did not find the QRM that bad from normal contest operation. I
experience far worse band occupancy during ARRL DX phone, CQ WW &WPX
SSB. However the local club members did find it bad. I am thinking that
they are using rigs with relatively poor usable close in Dynamic Range
on 80m and many of the signals were very strong. I am on the other hand
using a K3 with its excellent close in Dynamic range especially with
pre-amp off and 10dB attenuator in. The strongest non-local signals were
up to about -20dBm at times. A level which causes IMD and signal
compression in many receivers even with the preamp off and the
attenuator on (assuming the rig has an attenuator).

David G3YYD