[UK-CONTEST] G3RVM

CHRIS COLCLOUGH chrisg1vdp at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 31 15:26:20 PST 2010

Sorry to jump in here but the following quote has annoyed me;

 "LOTW gives me the occasional new confirmation for DXCC CW which
is all I really need and I don't think anyone will be needing a QSL from a
common G."

Break it down and this is very selfish. Think back to when you first started out in your long amateur career and started chasing the awards you wanted. Now lets look at it from the side of a new operator who has his first QSO (any mode) with a "common G" station and he sends a card, but the common G station has "lost interest in QSL cards" and is only getting the occasional LOTW confirmation which they are intersted in.

Maybe it is just me who thinks like this, and maybe G is common but someone has taken their time to send a QSL card to confirm the contact - does this not tell you they would like your card as confirmation of the contact for some award or the memory of it?

I guess I am going to get lambasted for this and will get slated for my views but as an avid collector of QSL cards myself I think it is just common courtesy to return a card to the station who sends me one, and I am not a common G station with being one of the few really active G1 stations left on the air.

Chris Colclough
G1VDP
http://www.g1vdp.com
http://www.mc0shl.com