[UK-CONTEST] VHF NFD - Move To December?

jim martin mm0bqi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 02:11:00 PDT 2010

I would like to propose a date change for this event to mid winter as the
weather would probably be better.  Could not have been much worse in this
part of the country!  Last two years have been plagued with gale force
winds, torrential rain and thunder storms!

Still the radio conditions were not too bad.
The plan was to run SO2R on 70cms with 6m on Saturday and 4m on Sunday.
Started slowly with 6m very very quiet.  Thanks to GM3ZBE who pointed out
that there were lots of stations calling that I could not hear.  My K3 is
deaf on 6m! (Probably lost 20-30 Qs over several hours) Same happened in the
IARU a couple of weeks ago but I thought it was just conditions)  K3 is now
on the bench, HF is fine 6m side under investigation.
Due to the weather forecast I decided to operate from the car rather than
risk loosing another tent to the forecasted gales. Static rain was worse on
Saturday sometimes wiping out the bands for long periods.  Still managed to
work a few stations through the noise but there must have been many that got
away - apologies if you called and did not get a reply.
Stopped early on Saturday night due to torrential rain and static.  Early
finish on Sunday as gusts were over 60 MPH, Overall a great weekend with
some difficult challenges, all made worth while by the faithful who make the
effort to come on every year and work the mad portables.  Thank you.

Some good 6m DX late on Saturday into Greece and the Balkans, best DX 5B4AIF
@ 3542 Km.
K3 (replaced by TS2000) after a couple of hours, 25 watts to a 5ele
Cushcraft at 10m.

4m.   Very pleased with results here.  What a difference using a decent
antenna. Good G activity with lots of Italian stations.  Best DX 9A6R @ 1930
Km.
K3, Spectrum transverter, 10w to 5ele Eagle at 10m (replaced the 5 ele
Moonraker dummy load, what a difference)

Had difficulty making myself heard on 70cms.  Low QSO count with best DX
over 500 Km.
TS2000, 25 watts to 21 ele Tona at 10m

All fed with Westflex.  Masts safely put up and taken down using a gin pole.
(Could not have been a falling Derrick as I was single op!)

Improvements for next year.
Must use a tent with a proper table for the gear.   Very dificult to keep an
eye on everything with controls on the parcel shelf and rigs on the
passenger seat.
Make a new antenna for 6m.  The Cushcraft has worked well for years but a
larger more modern design could reap benefits.
70cms, seek advice on new antenna and use of a pre amp.  Not sure of the
value in this as I could hear many of the big stations but running LP I
suspect I would be well below their local noise.
Replace the 70cms coax with LDF.

Looking forward to receiving other reports and your views on moving the
contest!
73
Jim,   MM0BQI