[UK-CONTEST] 70 MHz Trophy

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 23 14:42:50 PDT 2010

I completely disagree (especially as I don't work 6m & have no interest
in the band apart from very occasional /P operation when on holiday).
I really don't care whether there's an SpE opening or not during a 4m
contest and I don't think that it makes sense to score points/km for SpE
QSO's. We don't score in this way on the HF bands so why do so on VHF?
It's easy to work DX via E's if you happen to be in the right spot even
20W of FM to an indoor vertical dipole can get you 1500 points or more,
try working even 100kM under average tropo conditions with that sort of
set up. Even with 160W of SSB and a big beam working 500km under average
tropo conditions can be difficult but still only gets you 500 points.
I think that there should be a limit to the maximum score for long
distance QSO's via E's (or F2 if the MUF ever gets high enough again)
perhaps it's time to go back to radial ring scoring.
Discuss?

73...

Ken

G3LVP