[UK-CONTEST] 70 MHz Trophy

Paul_group paul_group at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 01:29:54 PDT 2010

On 24/07/2010 09:02, John Lemay wrote:
 > I agree. There's too muck luck (or lack of) in Sporadic E.
 >
 > Tropo on the other hand encourages us to build an effective station in a
 > good location, and to take time and effort in winkling out the weak ones.

I'm much less enthusiastic about the 4m contests that are scheduled when
ES is more likely - we have fairly low QSO rates on 4m and if someone
gets a "lucky" break with two or three QSO's those extra two or three
thousand points skews the results disproportionately.

I admit that watching 10m / 6m / b'cast stuff during the contest can
give you a heads up that you might be in line for that "lucky" break so
that is a skill in itself.

 > Points per km, and radial rings are both linear scoring systems (broadly
 > speaking) and so I see no advantage in one over the other. As for a
maximum
 > score per qso, no thanks !

PPK'm allows us to analyse our past performance, normalise it against
other stations and determine if our strategy and station mods has had
any effect. Radial ring scoring breaks that granularity.

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com