[UK-CONTEST] CQSSB Congrats!

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Sun Jul 25 10:11:05 PDT 2010

Hello Roger,

Well done to "CQ" for having the full CQWW-SSB 2009 results
available for all to see on the web by late July.

The "phantom-assisted" disqualifications are excellent. My
only observation is that "unclaimed assistance" is probably
not the most accurate way to describe it. "Undeclared
assistance" would be better. See the "Violation of the
Rules" item at the very end of the results tables.

73 - Nigel G3TXF

PS: I'm all in favour of adjudication... my own CQWW-SSB
Country and Zone scores both INCREASED by two... i.e my Mult
went UP be four - tnx!

-----Original Message-----
From: uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of
Roger G3SXW
Sent: 25 July 2010 16:01
To: UK-Contest
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] CQSSB Congrats!

Dear UK-Contest,
CQ Magazine Aug 2010 edition publishes results of the CQ WW
SSB 2009 contest. Special congratulations are due to:

GI5K operated by MI0LLL: 1st Europe and 2nd World on 3.7MHz.
Trophy winner. Chris scored 479,853 points, beaten into 1st
World by the super-station at VY2ZM, with 573,780 pts.

GW4BLE: 4th Europe, 2nd zone 14, all-band. Steve has
featured in the Top Scores tables for as long as we can
remember!

GA2MP operated by GM3WOJ: 3rd zone 14.

Full results are at:
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_contest_awards/2009/2009_
cq_ww_ssb_contest.pdf

Last year there was a concentrated emphasis on checking the
Multi-Single category with several disqualifications. This
year the 'Single-Operator Non-Assisted' category was
targeted. Statistical analysis by Committee confirmed a
higher than normal 'hit-rate' matching the timing of DX
Cluster spots to QSOs logged. Of all the leading single-op
unassisted logs which were deemed by the log-checking
Committee to be possibly using DX Cluster 75 were directly
asked to confirm their category. At that point 29 asked to
be reclassified as Assisted. In addition seven stations were
disqualified and a further four received yellow cards. Of
these 40 stations 32 were in zones 15, 16 and 20. Some of
these stations no doubt made a simple error on their
Cabrillo header file but others deliberately tried to break
the rules.  Multiple disqualifications will also appear in
the CW results to be published shortly.

Why hasn't such action been taken before now? Simple:
volunteer time. This year we were able to harvest the
hundreds of man-hours and the computing skills needed to
'prove beyond reasonable doubt' that rules had been broken.

73 de Roger/G3SXW.