[UK-CONTEST] IOTA Contest - G8D - 12 hr SOAB CW

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 25 13:28:50 PDT 2010

  Part of the greater plan to get back into mainstream single op all band contesting. Spent a lot of time S&Ping over the last 18 months or so but no
serious run entries. I targeted this one initially for 24 hr SOAB CW but in the end realised that recent emergency eye surgery for acute retinal
detachment (NHS was fantastic)) was going to be the deciding factor.

Our GU8D entries 1996 to 2005 helped me understand the contest although I had forgotten how important it is to be aware of the various specific
operations and probably more important, the common IOTA references. I guess a vague similarity would be recognising lesser known Commonwealth prefixes
in BERU. I do like this event as there are a number of variables to keep you alert. Some prefixes you know aren't IOTA - HB9, S5, LZ etc. Some you
know are IOTA, G*, EA8, TK, JA etc. Others could be ie DL, PA, OZ etc. You have to listen!!

So, started off thinking I was doing 24 hours with a target of averaging 75Q/Hr over 20 hours but soon realised that was not practicable and so
planned for 12 hours, but without a suitable band plan strategy! Consequently whilst my QSO total of 813 was in the ballpark, mults were sadly
lacking. I suspect this was due to not factoring in a good S&P session on 80/40 overnight.

Highlights - A sprinkling of JAs on 20m though nothing like the15m runs we used to get at GU8D. A nice W6/7/0 run on 20m on late Saturday afternoon.
Also eventually on Sunday morning an opening on 15m plus some Qs on 10m! The station and N1MM logger worked very well.

Lowlights - The Eastern European disease - Stupid speeding up of parts of messages! Bad clix and notes - RZ3AXX, LZ9W, RG3K, HG8N, UU7JC. Lots of dits
in 6! Wasn't it nice to turn the beam west! (On the other hand, those countries are keeping contesting alive!) Too many stations sending too fast.
Punk band condx on Saturday.

Station - K3, Acom 1000, A4S, 40m 2 el phased gp array, Delta loop and dipole for 80m.

Bnd      Qs     Pts  Mlts
          3.5      55     345   15
            7      42     222    7
           14     561    2175   33
           21     126     474    9
           28      29     123    4
        Total     813    3339   68     Score : 227,052

Chris G3SJJ