[UK-CONTEST] CwSkimmer

Gerry Lynch me at gerrylynch.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 07:56:10 PST 2010

On Mar 1 2010, Ken Eastty wrote:

>What does the CwSkimmer have to do with contesting or is this the answer
>to how some 'operators' manage to do 45 wpm? (yes I know that there are
>real operators who can do this just with what's between their ears, how
>do they do it and type with one hand whilst keying with the other?)

Absolutely, Ken. Nobody can really read CW or type that fast and those who
pretend they can by sending that fast are only doing it do show off or to
rob you of your rightful contest wins. :roll:

Other people have already explained this; you type the first few
characters, then start sending the message, then type the rest. I prefer to
use Insert then Enter and a full keyboard with separate number pad; I find
it makes a small but significant difference in contests where logging a
serial number is actually important (WPX). But I'm in a minority on that,
and if ESM works for you, then that's what to do.

Yes, it does take a while to get into the rhythm, but that's what Morse
Runner is for.

PS - I never hear anyone sending at 45 wpm in contests; I rarely hear
anyone sending above 36-38 wpm.

73

Gerry Lynch GI0RTN