[UK-CONTEST] Individual Short Contest Callsigns

Olof Lundberg olof at rowanhouse.com
Mon Mar 1 17:01:55 PST 2010

Ed,

I'm sure you will need some fine-tuning of your rules but I
want to give you a few words of support - I think your
approach makes eminent sense in what is probably a
minefield.

I couldn't resist a few minutes of research on how the
present short calls have been used and I found that 1) very
few of the club short calls have been used at all; 2) most
(but not all) of the very few that have been used have
actually been [mis?]used as a device for an individual to
grab a call.

For what its worth I would suggest a few pointers as you
move forward:

1) review the criteria occasionally to ensure they are not
unnecessarily restrictive; it is not much better that calls
are hoarded by Ofcom;

2) I hope Ofcom (with your help) will be consistent in
assuring that calls are indeed not hoarded but really used

3) Allow use of the short calls in more contests where other
countries are permitting short calls; my favorites would be
WAG, REF, SAC but there are surely many more; amend the
qualifying criteria accordingly

4) Do not allow the short calls in "local", "domestic" and
such contests including the field days.

5) Be somewhat flexible re the qualification criteria for
the first year for those clubs that have seriously used
their existing calls as a club call (i.e. multiop) but show
no pardon for those clubs that have just grabbed and stored
a callsign.

73 Olof G0CKV