[UK-CONTEST] Individual Short Contest Callsigns

Colin colin at g3psm.net
Tue Mar 2 03:09:19 PST 2010

Folks,

I think some perspective needs to be applied here.   As Ed has
mentioned, the actual work of approving such callsigns lies with the
Contest Committee, or more accurately a small sub-group of the CC.   The
criteria suggested to Ofcom was in response to their concerns that a
number of existing SCCs have never been used and if the existing
criteria continued there would be a possibility of exhausting the
series.   As an aside there was also a concern within the Radio
Licensing Centre that they would be overwhelmed by hundreds of
applications and it took some time to dissuade them of this thought.
What we do not want are "callsign wallpaper" collectors who have no
intention of using SCCs and thereby depriving genuine contesters of the
possibility of holding such calls.

The criteria agreed by the Ofcom lawyers are guidelines and I would
suspect that existing _active_ SCC holders have nothing to worry about.
   As with most matters of this nature a certain amount of common sense
needs to be used in managing this programme.

I have no doubt the criteria will be reviewed at forthcoming Ofcom/RSGB
Forum meetings.

73

Colin, G3PSM