[UK-CONTEST] Short contest call failure

Contest Committee Chairman g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Sat Mar 13 07:41:03 PST 2010

The Short Contest Call rejections are not what the RSGB
Contest Committee expected, and not what Ofcom are
supposed to be doing.  We have made protests, and expect
to have the whole thing sorted out this coming week.

The problem is that nobody at Ofcom knows anything about
contests, and they don't really understand how contesters
go about their "jobs".  It had never occurred to anyone
there that club SCCs could be used by individuals, and
also that people go abroad specifically to do contests, or
take gear when they go on business/holiday. When the first
applications came in, and some amateurs qualified using
calls other than that which Ofcom had issued to
individuals for UK use, they seemed to go into meltdown,
and rejected them out of hand.

The wording of the form says nothing about the callsign
used when qualifying, and it would not have been
acceptable to the RSGB side if it had. The fact that a
"callsign" box is there on the form itself ought to have
been a clue.

After a certain amount of commotion, some from the Contest
Committee, some from elsewhere, Ofcom are reconsidering.
I don't think they have a leg to stand on, but I am not a
lawyer. If the rejectees would like to hold their fire for
a few days, they may get some good news. The only thing
that could go wrong is that the Ofcom bureaucrats say
something like "This was not what we intended, so we have
to re-word the form, and the lawyers will need to look at
it again".  That seems unlikely, but if it happened, it
would really cause an excrement and turbine situation, and
would delay the whole thing by months.

I've no idea why Ofcom should really be over-interested in
this at all, but perhaps all quasi-governmental agencies
will go the same way as organisations look for places to
cut jobs, and employees have to make sure they are always
busy.  However, I get the impression that the Ofcom people
we are dealing with just want to get this sorted out, and
move on to other, more important things.  I understand
that the department's other remit, radio licensing for
shipping, is absolutely fascinating, and there is urgent
business to attend to.

I'll keep you posted -- we have a meeting with Ofcom in
London next Thursday.

73,

Ed, GW3SQX
Chairman, RSGB Contest Committee