[UK-CONTEST] OT: Aerial installation advice

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 14 08:06:22 PDT 2010

Keith

I suggest you look at the difference in loss between Ecoflex 15 and
Westlake 103. On a 20m run for 2m the loss difference is very small but
Ecoflex 15 costs a lot more especially if you use the bespoke
connectors. You can use ordinary RG213 connectors with W103, but need to
file down the inner conductor to fit the plug used. Takes a few minutes.
By the way fill the mating part of the connector/socket and the threads
with Petroleum Jelly ( XYL's Vaseline) to assist in moisture rejection.
I also use a sacrificial small length of RG213 with in line connectors
to the W103. The RG213 also takes the rotation motion as the W103  has a
copper tape covered by a copper braid and although the braid will help
with cracks in the tape, I prefer to avoid the potential problem. If it
leaks at the antenna end or I need to unwrap the antenna connector I
only need to cut back a bit of the RG213 and put the connector back on
rather than loose the whole W103 length. Ecoflex is better if water gets
into a connector as it is a foam dielectric while W103 has tubes of air
running down its length so it fills with water. So ensure well sealed
connectors.

Incidentally it is not the dielectric that reduces the loss per se but
the larger diameter inner conductor that reduces the loss that is
enabled by the lower capacitance of the air filled dielectrics over
solid. QED fatter cables with the same dielectric have lower loss
because the inner conductor is larger, but copper costs. Very large
diameter coax uses a tube for the  inner conductor to save cost and weight.

Do you really need a mast head pre-amp? It will reduce the dynamic range
of the RX and if it is say a FT897 or a TS2000 then you are already in a
poor dynamic range position without the pre-amp. On the other hand if it
is an excellent transverter into a K3 or similar you should not need the
pre-amp either as the transverter noise will be well below band noise
even with 30m of W103. Also it is something else to go wrong and is
possibly a right pain to fix when it goes wrong. 70cm and above is
different with band noise very much lower than 2m plus increased coax
loss. On 70cm if you have a Tetra mast near by then excellent bandpass
filtering will be required to stop overload of the RX system.

73 David G3YYD