[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth Contest 2010

Gordon Brown gordonbrowns at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 18 16:59:01 PDT 2010

When I was a young man, many moons ago, I thoroughly enjoyed operating 48 hours in contests but as the years ticked by it became harder and harder.  I now find single band entries allow me to arrange some sort of sleep pattern so I am able to operate reasonably effectively during my activity periods.  My personal choice is 7 Mc/s (sorry MHz) because I don't have a beam and an decent aerial (antenna) for the lower bands is out of the question.  If the 12 hour section of the Commonwealth Contest is removed then I would be happy to see it replaced by single band sections.  When those that want to get rid of the 12 hour section reach maturity they will also realize that has become a contest for the young, fit and able where operating skill takes a back seat.  Are contests run to test operating ability or the ability to stay awake?  I know of one contestant, now deceased, who took prescription drugs in the 1970's to keep him awake for 48 hours during
 the CQWW contest.  I will not identify him except to say he was in the medical profession.  I must admit to taking strong coffee in the past to keep me going but these days I want to enjoy my contest operating and concentrating on improving my operating skills.  How about a contest with a handicap based on the operators age?  You will all, hopefully, grow old gracefully and continue to enter contests until the Almighty answers your call.
Finally may I suggest that if the 12 hour section is removed it will reduce the number of entries to such an extent that the contest becomes boring.

Gordon
G3MZV