[UK-CONTEST] Buried cables

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 19 11:58:38 PDT 2010

Slightly OT, but of interest to contesters I'd hazard.

I wonder what your experience is with buried cables, in " ordinary"
garden environments? That might include e.g. RG213type coax and/or pvc
sheathed control cables.Have you used conduit and/or have you been
cavalier and buried directly?

To the present at this QTH my cables have been overground and the
control cables have been attacked regularly by creatures unknown,
probably squirrels or rats. At least that was the case when they were in
undergrowth, but since clearing their path it hasn't thus far been a
problem. Nevertheless I'd like to tidy things up a little now that the
wx is improving.

At a previous QTH I had a 60/70 ft run of RG213 ( type) coax to a
vertical which was buried directly in the ground, just a few inches
down, and over a period of several years, there was apparently no
deterioration. That however goes against the grain, but equally I can
envisage that a leaky conduit could be even worse.

73

Clive
GW3NJW