[UK-CONTEST] Contest end time - a consensus please.

Eddie G0EHV g0ehv at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 3 01:59:24 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Thawley" <roger.thawley at sky.com>
To: <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:58 AM
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] Contest end time - a consensus please.

> My contest buddy and I have become regular entrants of the RSGB 6M, 2M and
> 70cms Tuesday evening activity contests. For logging a 'retired' laptop is
> used with Minos logger. This evening, while trying to complete the last
> contact of the evening, deliberate interference was received from a G4
> station, whose view was that the contest had ended, however, according to
> the laptop, when the contact was initiated, the contest still had a minute
> to run. In the end, I felt justified in persevering for a further 30
> seconds
> to complete the contact, partly because I'd started the contact before the
> end of the contest and, partly, because of the deliberate interference.
>
> The view I take regarding contest timing is that I start and finish
> according to the time shown by the equipment I have. I accept that it's
> possible that the equipment is out by a minute or two - this is a
> limitation
> of the equipment. I operate for the duration of operation allowed by the
> contest rules and what I gain or lose at the start of the contest, I loose
> or gain at the end.
>

> In the end, this is just a hobby! What's the consensus is my view of the
> world reasonable?
>

> Roger
>
> G0BSU

Hello,
What's wrong with a watch? I goes well with a paper log!
I use a small MSF locked clock which sits nicely by the radio.

I'd be interested in what tolerance in timing is employed by the contest
adjudicator, not just at the beginning and end of the contest but also
during the event.

WRT timing, if a QSO starts in the last minute it usually completes in the
last minute and I see nothing wrong with it running over by say 30 seconds
or so.

Deliberate QRM cannot be condoned in any circumstance.

Just my opinions!

Regards,
Eddie
G0EHV