[UK-CONTEST] RoPoCo

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 07:18:00 PDT 2011

Very enjoyable here as well.

Equipment was limited - I was visiting my parents over the weekend, so
used G3VFC's random sloping bit of wire with a counterpoise along the fence.

A lack of preparation meant I started significantly late, and then spent
the next 30 minutes S&P'ing. I did find a frequency in the end, after a
couple of hopeful "Is this frequency in use?" "Yes!" exchanges, and
managed a reasonable run for 15 minutes or so, but the band seemed to be
going longer by that point, and was rapidly filling up with European
stations further away. I returned to S&P for the last part, and got a
few more I'd missed the first time, ending up with 42 QSOs in the log.

Most bizarre moment receiving my postcode (one letter mutilated) in one
QSO, then swapping it for the exactly the same postcode on the next QSO.
Not entirely sure how it ended up going round twice simultaneously!

A little post-contest mangling of the log file to get it into the
required format was needed, having used Win-Test's generic HF
DX'pedition mode, and logging the postcode in the "info" field. Excel
sufficed, but I'll write a little script to do it next time...

Definitely an enjoyable format - a nice change!

Cheers,
Rob, M0VFC