[UK-CONTEST] DUMP PSK use AMTOR

ALEX LISTER alexcom22 at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 25 23:06:58 PDT 2011

VAGRIES OF SOUND CARDS
Somewhat off topic but have been running MIXW for  quite a few years,
My main Shack PC is a rubbish build quality but electronically FBALDI desktop
Multimedia, With all the bells and whistles.

I had considerable problems with CW also some problems with PSK/RTTY  decode.
PSK/RTTY  was OK but during contest operation ((AFSK)) whatever I did with
wireless and PC Sound levels, irrespective of using Microphone or line  inputs.
I had PSK decode problems,

CW decode was always problematic just even worse during contest operation.

Eventually I decided to use a different sound card something a bit  more BASIC
Without all the compression and equalisation properties inherent in the
multimedia original fit.

Result
1    100% better on CW and RTTY during contests.
2.   Additional sound card means I do not have to switch over connections when
using PC for other uses.

Unfortunately  for some reason PSK decode which is 100% on non contest seems to
be  abysmal still during UK contest activity periods.
So can anyone suggest why PSK only is so abysmal on decode Only during a
contest.But FB otherwise !
Is it software (MIXW) Sound card overload (Irrespective of i/p level settings)
I am doing some sound card interface hardware changes but it annoying to  have
to wait for a contest before reallising its still rubbish on PSK.
Don,r rem ever having this problem when using a Creed 7B !!
But that was real RTTY no PSK (Bring back AMTOR)
Alex Please SR again G8FCQ