[UK-CONTEST] IOTA 2011

Tom GM4FDM tom at gm4fdm.com
Fri Aug 5 01:35:19 PDT 2011

Ummmmmm - travel on the Wednesday?????   Thats what we used to do, have
the whole of Thursday to erect antennas, finish Friday, erect and check
the station, good night's sleep of Friday - Contest Saturday...........
d'oh!    600lbs seems a tad excessive considering you are using
fibrestick verticals??

BTW Jim, I didnt hear you once, although I confess to having no low band
antennas at the moment.

I wish I could raise the enthusiasm again to take part!

Tom
GM4FDM

On 05/08/2011 09:05, mm0bqi wrote:
> [...]
> days.
> Drive 1000 miles the two days before leaving.
> Leave at 0330 on the Thursday morning and drive 250 miles to catch the boat
> at 0930
> Move all the kit from the basement to the house, from the house to the car,
> from the car to the jetty, load the boat from the jetty, unload to
> the island pier, load on to the trailer, unload at the operating site. I
> recon a minimum of 600lbs of kit moved seven times.
> Pitch the tent
> Run out 500m of cable or should that be stumble out?
> Erect five aerials on uneven boggy ground
> Setup the station
> Enjoy yourself and call CQ contest with your 100w into a wall of high power
> fixed stations hundreds of miles from the sea who run hundreds of Qs an
> hour, why can't anybody hear me.............must be the location it's
> rubbish!!
> Yes IOTA for me is the best contest in the world by far, but need to rethink
> the strategy for next year and make sure I can operate for the full 24
> hours.  It's a long way to travel to fall asleep at the mic!
>   Lots more to come on the contest and how the vertical dipoles performed.
> For now its off to start the adjudication process, should be done by
> October!
> 73
> Jim, MM0BQI
> GM1J from the Summer Isles EU92. (Already booked for next year)
>

> On 2 August 2011 10:10, GORDON BROWN<gordonbrowns at virginmedia.com>  wrote:
>
>> Yes Bernie it is hard work with a small dipole in the loft and 10 Watts but
>> it is fun - most contests are.
>> As one ticks off the years on the calendar of life it gets harder and
>> harder
>> to keep going for even 24 hours.  In my youth I did 48 hours during CQWW
>> etc. but those days have slipped away.  I did manage almost 24 hours but
>> once I reached my 700 QSO target I gave up.
>> Two days later I have almost recovered.
>> It was FUN FUN and well worth the effort.
>>
>> Gordon G1N
>>

>> On 31 July 2011 19:28, Bernie McIntosh (GM4WZG)<gm4wzg at kars.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Operated from home this weekend. Give or take some time for meals, and an
>>> overnight pause for some sleep (I know, I'll never be a proper hard core
>>> contester will I ?) I tried to do the full 24 hours.  Generally poor
>> condx
>>> and I thought there was less participation than in recent years. Some
>> more
>>> distant islands were workable though from a simple station like mine and
>>> was pleased overall with the multiplier count considering that I was 100w
>>> with a stealth wire antenna. In fact it's a good demonstration of what
>> can
>>> be done with CW from a suburban house with no real scope for proper
>>> antennas, particularly for the lower bands.  In fact IOTA is a great
>>> for those with simple stations because its more about hunting around for