[UK-CONTEST] IOTA 2011

mm0bqi mm0bqi at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 01:05:06 PDT 2011

Here here, hard work but great fun.

Still need to do a proper write up for the contest but a couple of things
have come out in the wash so far.
Prep time is never enough to get the whole station dismantled packed up and
transported 250 miles.
Time on the island is never enough.  Even with very simple antennas,
vertical dipoles and groundplanes on fibreglass fishing poles, the amount of
trudging about through the midge infested heather is huge! Once it is all
done and you are sitting back in your tent on your idyllic little island you
are knackered,  must be old age I could only manage 16 hours this year!
Rough timetable.
Promise yourself throughout the year you will perfect your SO2R abilities
and enter more contests........
Do all the prep work and packing  in the days before departure as there is
no where in the house to store all the gear, all whilst working 10 hour
days.
Drive 1000 miles the two days before leaving.
Leave at 0330 on the Thursday morning and drive 250 miles to catch the boat
at 0930
Move all the kit from the basement to the house, from the house to the car,
from the car to the jetty, load the boat from the jetty, unload to
the island pier, load on to the trailer, unload at the operating site. I
recon a minimum of 600lbs of kit moved seven times.
Pitch the tent
Run out 500m of cable or should that be stumble out?
Erect five aerials on uneven boggy ground
Setup the station
Enjoy yourself and call CQ contest with your 100w into a wall of high power
fixed stations hundreds of miles from the sea who run hundreds of Qs an
hour, why can't anybody hear me.............must be the location it's
rubbish!!
Yes IOTA for me is the best contest in the world by far, but need to rethink
the strategy for next year and make sure I can operate for the full 24
hours.  It's a long way to travel to fall asleep at the mic!
 Lots more to come on the contest and how the vertical dipoles performed.
For now its off to start the adjudication process, should be done by
October!
73
Jim, MM0BQI
GM1J from the Summer Isles EU92. (Already booked for next year)