[UK-CONTEST] GM1J EU92 IOTA Report

John G3LZQ johndunnington at johndunnington.karoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 02:02:59 PDT 2011

Hello Jim
Interesting reading all of the different
ideas on how to get the 18m in the
air..single handed.

I suspect different climatic conditions call
for different solutions. My first use of the
18m pole was to support a 160m antenna in ZS3
with 4-top loading wires and rope
extensions.I discarded the two top sections
as being far too thin to support anything and
removed them. I have always used the approved
clamps above each joint to avoid slippage.
The ZS3 QTH had daily morning fog so
condensation ran down the pole like a tap..we
collected a washing bowl full in two days.
This was an ideal lubricant for slipping
sections hence the extra care. Being a
coastal site winds regularly above 20mph I
took care in guying every 5m or so using 4mm
marine rope at the lower two levels and 2mm
higher up and for top loading extensions.
Having laid out slack side guys I also had a
simple hinge, falling derrick (2x10ft), and
in my case a lower pipe into which I slot the
bottom of the Spiderpole. Fortunate the poles
for the 20ft pipe were available locally.

Although much easier to lower the antenna
great care should be taken to avoid spiking
the far end as it comes down almost
"U-shaped" and you can easily break the
thinner top sections. This is the point when
the falling derrick comes into it's own by
supporting the thinner actions avoiding
cracking.

At J7 I had no falling derrick so simply
walked the pole up hand over hand and used
the back guys to avoid over rotation.
This used a simple base anchor to allow the
pole to move horiz>vertical with no
obstruction.

At 3B9 the mounting had to be a fence post 9"
OD with a stone wall at right angles, I could
only put out the back ropes but pushed the
bottom of the tube up against the wall/post
having laid it out carefully bisecting the
angle between wall and post. Again a simple
walk up steady but no stopping and secured
the lower section against the post using
3x12mm wide tyraps. In this case guying was
at 120-degrees due to site limitations so the
top loading wires (only 3-this time)acted as
a loose top set. It is very important once
vertical that each guy level is adjusted to
provide a firm hold but not over tight to
cause downward thrust on the joint
immediately below the tie point. As a one man
session it involves a lot of walking but well
worth it when the wind blows, you can sleep
at night..

On 160m I usually have 8-1/4-wave radials on
the ground but on J7 this was not practical
so I went for 2 raised resonant 1/4-wave
using a rope tied at the 20ft level, anchored
20ft out from the base and halfway up the
hypotenuse a plastic egg insulator. From the
base of the antenna, up to the insulator, and
then horizontal (10ft above the ground). An
additional rope was added from the insulator
back to the pole (10ft up the pole)to act as
a back anchor when each radial was pulled
tight.

For 80m like Jim I wind on 70ft of wire kinda
helically with closer spacing at the bottom
for resonance adjusting.
Usually comes out around 25-ohms so a 2:1
transformer and 8-10 radials works well.

I am about to move into new uncharted
territory having aquired the beast (27m pole)
to allow serious testing of a pair of phased
160m verticals at this QTH. Construction has
started on a suitable base arrangement and
guying anchor points.
Once mastered I will report back on results.
So many ropes required I have decided to
colour code various levels to avoid
accidents.

73

John G3LZQ