[UK-CONTEST] 18m Spiderpole erection

cris at gm4fam.plus.com cris at gm4fam.plus.com
Sun Aug 14 02:51:02 PDT 2011

Fred

Some excellent advice given on erection of the 18m version which I cannot
add to.

But I do have an unguyed 12m Spiderpole supported by a cemented 4ft fence
post which I use with a single raised radial on 60m.

Recommend you wrap a couple of layers of tape round the bottom of each
telescoping section and then add a suitable sized hose clamp on top; this
will guarantee that you don't wake up one morning to find your 18m has
downsized to the height of my one!

The radiating wire (bare copper) is put up the inside of the pole and
joined to a short length of thickish ali agricultural fencing (to bring to
resonance on 60m); the joint and the bottom 6in of ali wire fit snugly
inside the top of the pole with the remaining ali wire poking out of the
top; a wee bit of sealant was added to prevent moisture ingress.  Its done
a winter shift no problem with driving snow and very high winds.

Appreciate that its a whole different ball game with an extra 6m but hope
my experiences add something to the pot.

Good luck!

73 Cris
GM4FAM