[UK-CONTEST] Not sending what you key in

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Mon Aug 15 00:56:22 PDT 2011

Hi Barry

I agree it is easy to understand.  Though I doubt many serious contesters
will these days accept the increased risk associated with divorcing what is
sent from what is logged.  An own goal for sure.

My point is that communication would be improved were the sender to share
responsibility for accurate receipt.  This mostly isn't the case.  Of
course, what I suggest isn't going to happen any time soon because it would
disturb established exchange dynamics. To illustrate:

Me: Test P3F
You: GM3YEH
Me: GM3YEH 5nn
You: 5nn
Me: TU
Then: W2YZ etc

The above conveys a typical contest exchange.  Note that the station I work
never actually sends my call.  How might I know if he has copied me as P3L?
I can't.  This underlines the inequity in penalising me as a consequence of
him logging P3L.  I must assume my QSO partner can accurately read my CW.
Very sloppy!

Greater efficacy would arise were both parties penalised for imperfect two
way communication.  I don't see any need for penalties of multiple QSO
points merely zero points for the contact.

As I said this ain't going to happen soon, if not for any other reason than
it would disturb the status quo significantly, at least so far as contest
records are concerned.  This because the current "efficient" exchange format
would suddenly become a hazard to be averted and rate reduction would
result.  Viz:

Me: Test P3F
You: P3F (de) GM3YEH
Me: GM3YEH 5nn
You: 5nn
Me: TU

Suddenly you need to send my call because I now need confidence you know who
I am.

Perish the thought.  ;-)

Bob, 5B4AGN