[UK-CONTEST] BT Infinity

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Aug 16 06:00:20 PDT 2011

On 16 Aug 2011 at 11:22, David G3YYD wrote:

> Does anyone have experience of the EMC compatibility of this product
> with high power contesting? Both good and bad.
>
> With the normal BT Broadband I had to design, make and install a 1MHz
> cut off LPF on the line going to the router. Without it on the low bands
> the modem retrained to a very low download speed.
>
> BT Infinity still uses tones on the normal phone pair coming into the
> house but from a roadside cabinet which is fibre fed. To get its higher
> (40MB/S) speed I presume the bandwidth on the line must go higher than
> 1MHz. Hence the question asked.

BT Infinity (and similar fibre products marketted by a FEW other ISPs)
uses fibre to your nearest cabinet, then over normal twisted pair to
your house as VDSL - this uses up to 12MHz. I have no information as to
its EMC characteristics, but imagine radiated noise will be more
noticeable than ADSL/ADSL2+ (up to 2MHz). Most problems with broadband
disconnecting from amateur transmissions are due to it getting into the
router, these will be no different with Infinity, but since your
broadband signal is likely to be stronger depending on the distance of
your cabinet then I would think it would be more immune.

Have you checked that you can actually get Infinity? Our exchange in
Bracknell has slipped a year and won't be upgraded till the end of this
year. And having your exchange upgraded does not mean you can get it,
as BT have been very slow in installing the actual fibre and putting in
cabinets.

> Also anyone had problems with Vigin Media "fibre" broadband?

Virgin cable puts the broadband on UHF channels along with the TV
service, so is totally immune to the sort of problems ADSL suffers.
Note that the 'fibre' part goes to a major distribution hub in the
vicinity, it is then distributed to other cabinets and eventually your
house over normal coax. The fibre bit may some distance away. Obviously
an option if your street is cabled, but of course you are then
restricting yourself just to Virgin broadband.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com