[UK-CONTEST] Guying a "lugless" Versatower

Chris Tran GM3WOJ zl1ct1 at gm7v.com
Sun Aug 28 23:46:27 PDT 2011

> I must add anyone that would want to leave a tower fully up in high winds
> is barking mad. I would much prefer to get the thing down the slow way
> than seeing it crash the fast way!
>
> Reg G8VHI

Hello all

Sorry to disagree Reg but the worst thing you can do is to try to lower a
guyed crank-up tower in a high wind.

Let's be clear - I am talking about a tower guyed in the correct places,
with properly tensioned wire rope guys and antennas which do not exceed the
recommended head loading for the tower.

As soon as you start to crank the tower down, the effect of the guying
disappears immediately and the tower is very vulnerable to the wind forces.

So the best advice is to do the guying job properly and sleep easily through
every storm (OK maybe with one eye open watching the tower!)

73
Chris
GM3WOJ / ZL1CT