[UK-CONTEST] Changes to the CC and the Sprint for 2012.

tim.trew at btinternet.com tim.trew at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 2 17:23:29 PST 2011

> I don't understand why they are reducing the number of sprints.
>The number of entrants for the SSB sections has progressively
>increased this year since September from 67 to 78 in November.
> Doesn't this mean the sprints are becoming more popular?
> I always hear stations moaning after the contest that they didn't
> work anyone in the last half hour but this is usually because
> they sit on a frequency calling CQ rather than actively
> searching for new stations. My QSO rate is fairly
> consistent throughout each sprint.
> 73 Paul M0XDX

I agree with Paul. When people say "that it's not really a
Sprint", maybe we should change the name of the contest! The
intent is summed up in the rules:
   "These events will introduce different contesting skills through
   the ‘sprint’ format. This requires stations to QSY often, and
   not maintain a ‘run' frequency."
If that's what "sprint" is, these contents do it very nicely. What
they don't do is give a particularly high QSO rate:
- If your call doesn't get through first time, it's quite possible
  that you'll have to QSY or wait for a couple of QSOs before you
  find a new station to work. That brings a completely new dimension
  to the tactics for keeping the rate up.
- The mandatory QSO format takes longer to say, and the somewhat
  friendlier exchange encourages people to say even more.

Taking two sets of SSB results at random, the March CC and
November sprint, the CC format attracted many more entrants,
but everyone who entered the sprint enjoyed it. Also, there
were many comments on the CC event that "they couldn't
find/keep a run frequency", and the sprint levels that playing
field.

I thought that I was going to support the reduction to 60 mins
to reward operating skills (rather than giving everyone lots
of time at the end to work everyone), but Paul's e-mail
indicates that the last 30mins is where the contest is won
- so we just have to change its name.

Personally, my CW isn't up to the CW legs, so I'd be happy to
see those replaced by a multi-mode contest. But what are people
really looking for that we don't have in other contests?
- The leading stations in the CC contests are working at an
  impressive rate.
- In the CC contests I normally run out of time before I run out
  of stations, so how would having multiple, single mode sections
  really change things?
- We already have multimode contests (RTTY/PSK). An SSB/CW/RTTY
contest would be fine but
  - would you keep the QSY rule?
  - would you forbid stations from working other stations in each
    of the 3 modes in quick succession?
  - would you require stations to change modes after each QSO?
  - would any of this attract more stations than participate in
    the SSB sprints? My guess is that the problem with the
    EU sprints is that, spread out over 3 bands, they don't
    attract the critical mass of stations on any one band so
    that, when you QSY, you can find another station quickly.
    Having multiple modes in a sprint might lead to the same
    problem.

So, can we be clearer on what the attractions are of alternative
formats, other than insane levels of novelty, so that we can come
to some consensus?

And if the RSGB CC schedule fewer contests, we can always stimulate
"flash contests" with messages on here, Facebook and Twitter to
fill in the gaps! :-) How about a contest for the person who
organises a contest that attracts the largest number of participants?

73, Tim, G8JXV