[UK-CONTEST] Failure to Identify

Gerry Lynch me at gerrylynch.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 04:33:08 PST 2011

On 5 Dec 2011, at 13:15, Frank Hunter <fthunter at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> On 05/12/2011 11:43, Gerry Lynch wrote:
>
> Hi Gerry!
>
> Big snip, haven't time to debate this lists equivalent of War and Peace.. :)

Given that your main pastime is arguing on radio forums that isn't true, and if you think that was War and Peace, I suggest you brush up on your Tolstoy!

>> As for the DX not-identifying, I don't see anything wrong with a
>> quick CL? on CW or "What's your call?" on SSB,

> Try it and see what happens. I did over the weekend on 12m, I listened
> for easily 10 minutes to a station running a pileup with no identifying
> call sign given during that period,

I appreciate that's very frustrating, but if enough people do it and keep doing it, operators at the other end will eventually get the hint. In or out of contests, I don't see what one loses by identifying at least once per minute while running a pileup. I try and ID once every three QSOs at the very least in contests, an easy rhythm to hold in one's head, and after this year's CQWWs, I'm now no longer convinced that it's EVER worth dropping the ID from G or DL. No-one sticks around in your pileup anyway.

73

Gerry DL/Gi0RTN at Cologne Central station...