[UK-CONTEST] 70MHz Noise level

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 06:38:05 PST 2011

Hi,

I don't think anyone was trying to say there weren't, and not only on 4M.

I'm in a semi-urban environment, houses all round , but also fields and
farmland. To the South  the antennas are overlooking a major town. When the
antennas are swung throught that area the noise level noticabley rises, then
falls as they are pointing at open fields. They pose there own problems with
electrical fences, and mobile/ comms masts to keep the farmer in credit. Add
on the dodgey PSU's, thermostats, PC crud, baby alarms, Plasma TV's, et al,
from the nearby houses and the noise floor is definitely worse than 20 years
ago.

But we plough on regardless, I 've even worked Stewart a few times :0)

Bob G8HGN