[UK-CONTEST] RSGB Contests 2012

Malcolm Bryan malcolm.bryan at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:38:33 PST 2011

Thanks for pointing this out Andy - I had missed that - it is mentioned in
the intro as well. Just shows how carefully you need to read the rules! On
the positive side as least we dont have to make the judgement call on which
section to enter now !!!

I don't like knocking the contest committee as whatever they do someone
will moan but I fail to see why they have excluded overseas stations from
contributing at all. I note they have done the same for the sprints. On 80m
it is not as if we have a major advantage, in fact we have a disadvantage
as we can only work UK stations for points. I don't have a problem with
that - it is a UK contest after all.

I find it strange that suggested rule changes arent floated first to get an
idea whether they will be well received. There was an email a while ago
asking about moving the 6m contests to line up with other contests - we
have heard no more on that - but we were asked which was great.

I am more interested in VHF and at the moment I can still contribute to the
clubs UKAC score from France even though, since the M5 rule came in I am
not a multiplier (JO10). (I hope they are not going to change that and
prevent overseas stations from contributing on VHF as well). With 6m and 4m
hopefully to be fully available with sensible power levels later this year
in France I hope to make contributions on those bands as well as 2m and
70cm.

We don't seem to be encouraging our continental friends and UK amateurs on
holiday to participate in our contests and I dont understand why. I don't
see a negative in having them contribute to scores on 80m or am I missing
something?

73
Malcolm
G8MCA / F1VNR