[UK-CONTEST] Fwd: 3rd Jan 80m CC [CW]

Andy Summers g4kno.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 08:02:00 PST 2011

Clicked wrong button...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andy Summers <g4kno.mail at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] 3rd Jan 80m CC [CW]
To: g3wvg at btinternet.com

How cool is that! I never bothered to look at RBN before.

Out of interest, I sorted the claimed entries by QSO count and picked a few
to compare with myself at various nodes. What's strking is there isn't a
massive difference between my signal and some of the leaders. But more
revealing is that G3ZGC's QRP is indeed consistently weaker than my signal
and yet he is in 38th place to my 127th! In fact he beats a significant
number of stations running 100W - well done! OK, I'm no CW op, but this does
suggest the skill factor is a bigger factor than I had assumed.

Of course, there isn't really any data from nodes in G-land, so it's
impossible to see whether some enjoyed better inter-G propagation than
others - which makes up the meat of the available Q's. I was interested to
see that I was heard by K3LR near the start of the contest at the same SNR
as G4FNL, who is currently in 1st place.

This is all quite encouraging to me because I had assumed it was a
pipe-dream to think I could get anywhere near the top of the table with my
station (currently 100W to inverted-vee windom, 30ft apex 10ft ends). A long
way to go with the skill then... I recall reading something G6XN wrote where
he reckoned those with beams did better partly because they expected to get
through to DX, whereas those that didn't gave up too easily.

73,
Andy G4KNO.