[UK-CONTEST] AFS CW

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 11:10:59 PST 2011

Incredibly noisy with me, never less than S7 and often over S9, so apologies to those I missed; there were several I just couln't dig out.  Pity 'cos noise had been much lower earlier in the week and right now it's back to S3!

Last-minute attempts to persuade the 160m tuned loop to work (which would have notched the noise) failed because it's just a fraction too big for 80m, the self-resonant frequency is too far below the band.  So had to stick with the dipole up 35ft.  FT1000MP + Ranger 811 amp for 400W.

Had 30+ mins of DQRM around my first-choice frequency (3563) and was followed when I moved higher.  Finally had to drop below 3560 to get away!  Hence hourly rates of 74, 60, 74, 40 for 248Qs with 5 dupes.  No S&P this year, running all the time.  However, unless noise remains low like now, will be S&P only on Saturday.

73

Steve
G3UFY