[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 80m CC SSB condx

PETER CLEALL peter.cleall at virgin.net
Fri Jan 14 01:04:05 PST 2011

This was the first 80CC SSB I have participated in. I live in Somerset. I
expected to find a band full of signals for 90mins of mayhem. When I started
I could only find 2 signals, both relatively local. Throughout the contest I
could only hear about 3 or 4 signals on the band at any one period that were
in the "run" mode. Trying to contact these proved difficult as I was usually
pipped by several stations calling and after about 10 tries I moved on
somewhere else. During the time I was trying to work someone I heard many of
the stations that the runner was working, some of which I could hear at very
good strengths, but interestingly I never heard them again anywhere else on
the band throughout the contest.

Does this mean most participants spent a large proportion S&P or was it a
propagation phenomena coupled with a poor antennae at this end

The stats are at the opposite end of the spectrum to the majority of reports
on this reflector, but I enjoyed myself which for me was the important
thing.

Q's 13 , countries 2

50W to a 30m longwire running N/S at 6 to 8m. Basic noise level between S5
and S7.

Now 2 questions

Should I have a go during AFS , what am I likely to find, or will I waste my
time amongst all the big signals.

Are there any simple ways of improving my operating performance, as I am
currently restricted to the antennae and equipment I can use.

regards
peter G8AFN