[UK-CONTEST] Licensed at 17 OM!

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 20 14:31:22 PST 2011

Licensed at 17? Almost an OM! Like many of my friends I was licensed at
14 (Thanks to Jim '3AYZ - SK). We all took the full written C&G RAE &
passed the 12WPM Morse test. Today's youngsters are supposed to be so
much better educated therefore I wonder why we insult them by requiring
them to go through the three tier exam system. I'm sure that most of
them would be able to pass the 'full RAE'. (The same applies to a lot of
people who decide to take up the hobby after retirement).
At least back then you could run 10W (DC I/P) on 160m without being
overwhelmed by others running kW's (well perhaps there were one or two
who used 813's in the PA....).

73...

Ken

G3LVP