[UK-CONTEST] RTTY Bandwidth

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 25 11:21:55 PDT 2011

Chris

Baud rate, shift and propagation effects is a  very interesting subject
in its own right. I agree 75 is often counter productive at HF
especially on the lower bands. Having a narrower shift is a trade off.
Less receive bandwidth reduces significantly the probability of QRM and
substantially increases the probability of finding a clear frequency to
run on. A prime example would be SSB going to CW.

Narrower shift means for those few FSK decoders that decode each tone
separately and combine  them become less effective against frequency
selective QSB. By the way the popular MMTTY is not able to copy on a
single tone signal which is what happens with frequency selective QSB.
However if we want to get more run frequencies per KHz reducing shift is
the obvious way to go similar to 2m FM went from 25KHz to 12.5KHz
channels to reduce congestion.

Did you know we may transmit FSK (or AFSK) but most decoders receive
each tone through a very narrow filter (circa 50Hz) then compare the
amplitude between the 2 tones to get the 1s and 0s. If the TXs used well
filtered differential ASK (Amplitude Shift Keying) with 170Hz shift it
is possible to interlace 2 RTTY transmissions 85Hz apart and not suffer
QRM. This is because DASK has significantly less energy between the mark
and space tones than FSK. Now that would produce some interesting
arguments about whose frequency it is.... And it is not difficult to
generate either using PC software and audio into the rig, i.e replace
AFSK with AASK.

73 David G3YYD