[UK-CONTEST] Contest logger comparisons

Dave H davekh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:40:39 PDT 2011

Have you tried Xlog (for Linux) recently? - I'm taking a bit of a rest from
it for the moment as I tend to just do contests, but I do download my ADIF
file from eQSL every now and then and try it in the latest Xlog.

It's not specifically contest log, but the author is available on the (not
too busy)  listserver - I would think that if there were enough interest to
give it a neat minimal contest interface.

Think I'll download it again..
Dave H G0CER

On 20 June 2011 17:07, Clive Whelan <clive at gw3njw.net> wrote:

> Andy
>
> Well it might be a bit previous!
>
> I am referring simply to an intimation from Martin that he is working on
> such. I did look at TLF, but frankly didn't think much of it. The
> problem with Linux geeks in my experience is that they are a bit on the
> evangelical side, and tend to discount anything Windows-like.
>
> Of course it's a classic chicken and egg scenario. Writelog and Wintest
> could readily be compiled for Linux, but the authors claim there is
> insufficient market, whilst end users like me say they won't change to
> Linux until/unless there is a viable contest logger available! I
> recognise the problem, but don't know what the solution is. I guess that
> it is a typical Gladwell tipping point issue( see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tipping_Point.)
>
> 73
>

> Clive
> GW3NJW
>
> On 20/06/2011 12:22, Andy Summers wrote:
> > Clive,
> >
> > I sat up when I read the extract below, but I couldn't find anything
> > new out there. Are you referring to TLF, actually written by Rein,
> > PA0R? If not, can you share the appropriate URL?
> >
> > TLF is a pretty good linux contest logger, but doesn't have the bells
> > & whistles of the usual windows suspects. In particular, I miss a
> > decent bandmap. Having gone totally linux at home now, this is my only
> > realistic option (other than SD + Wine). Tom, DL1JBE, has started
> > maintaining TLF now, so it should start improving from now on.
> >
> > I always thought it was peculiar that there weren't more decent linux
> > contest loggers - us hams being an experimental lot. I guess it's just
> > a legacy thing - linux on the desktop didn't really take-off until
> > about 5 years back. I'm also surprised why developers haven't chosen
> > to use Java, which would be OS agnostic.
> >
> > 73 Andy, G4KNO.
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Clive Whelan <clive at gw3njw.net
> > <mailto:clive at gw3njw.net>> wrote:
> >

> >     There is another faint possibility, and that is a version of TR
> ported
> >     to the Linux platform by Martin/OK1RR and friends. It is indeed
> >     only the
> >     non availability of a good Linux contest logger that keeps me
> >     using the
> >     execrable Windows platform.

73s Dave H
G0CER - KJ4QAO (now with added 'Extra' class)
(also G6VSG)
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?G0CER
http://g0cer.blogspot.com