[UK-CONTEST] Contest logger comparisons

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 14:55:27 PDT 2011

If it results in an error in the sending log, which is in contravention of
contest rules world-wide and which could result in unjust loss of points for
an innocent receiver, it is either a bug (which needs to be fixed) or a very
irresponsible piece of coding (which still needs to be fixed) ... view it
how you will!

The RSGBCC has long been aware of the problem and of its likely link to
certain logging software, rather than to allegations that the German Robot
was altering entrants' logs in NFD and some of the other far-fetched
suggestions which have been put forward from time to time.  But a suitably
qualified statement of responsibility has been lacking .. until now!

RSGBCC policy is that, rather than make any automatic assumption of fault,
adjudicators examine EVERY failed match in entrants' logs to ensure that
fault is correctly ascribed.  For example, (and particluarly so on CW) it
has been held for a long time that an error of one across a decade boundary
(eg, 009 for 010) is unlikely to be due to the recipient ... the same across
a century boundary (eg 099 for 100) is extremely unlikely indeed to be a
receive error, so the adjudicator may consider that the sending station is
in error in such cases.  Now, adjudication software provides an instant
analysis of ALL the mismatches involved with a particular station's log,
enabling the adjudicator to make an informed judgement as to the quality of
the sending operator at any time, spot any patterns of serial number or
callsign error and identify sending errors over a wider number range.

If the adjudicator is satisfied that an error was made either by the
transmitter or the receiver, then the side responsible for the error will
lose the points.  If the adjudicator can not be sure who was responsible,
then neither party loses any points.  Suggestions made by some competitors
that they have lost large numbers of points unjustly are not valid, simply
because each loss is individually considered.  That's why it takes so long
to adjudicate the affected events!

Obviously, the recent information regarding the programs concerned with the
logging errors may influence individual adjudicators' opinions but the basic
principles have not changed, nor is there any reason why they should.

73

Steve
G3UFY
Secretary RSGBCC