[UK-CONTEST] Contest logger comparisons

Jim Fisher gm0nai at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 21 09:22:30 PDT 2011

The serial number problem has been bouncing around for ages.

With Win Test the serial can be stolen by the mult station before the Q is
logged by the run Op.

With other software using the serial number server it can't be stolen BUT

Quoting Larry F6FVY
"
We assume one RUN station and only one IN-BAND station.
We assume a perfect network.

T ! Stn RUN                        ! Stn IN-BAND
--!-----------------------------------------------------------------
1 ! Serial displayed : 001         ! Serial displayed : 001
2 ! CQ                             ! S & P
3 ! F6ABC replies to CQ            !
4 ! I enter F6ABC <Space>          !
5 ! So 001 is reserved             ! Serial displayed : 002
6 ! I enter the QSO                !
7 ! Serial displayed : 002         !
8 !                                ! I find and enter ZD8Z <space>
9 ! Serial displayed : 003         ! 002 is reserved
10! DL6ABC replies to CQ           ! I call ZD8Z but not heard
11! I enter DL6ABC                 ! Ditto
12! Serial displayed : 004         ! Ditto
13! JA6ABC replies to CQ           ! Ditto
14! I enter JA6ABC                 ! Ditto
15! Serial displayed : 005         ! Yeah ! I (finally) work him !
16! G6AA replies to CQ             !
17! I enter G6AA                   !
18! Serial displayed : 006         ! I find and enter CU2A <space>
19!                                ! Serial reserved : 006
20! Serial displayed : 007         ! I call CU2A (no reply)
21! ON6AA replies to CQ            ! Ditto
22! I enter ON6AA                  ! Ditto
23! Serial displayed : 008         ! Ditto
24! EA4AA replies to CQ            ! Finally CU2A is now QRT :-(
25! I enter EA4AA                  ! (F11)
26! Serial displayed : 009         ! Serial displayed : 009

Bottom line :

My final time-ordered log looks like :

F6ABC     001
DL6ABC    003
JA6ABC    004
ZD8Z      002
G6AA      005
ON6AA     007
EA4AA     008

1/ Serial numbers are not sequential (see ZD8Z)
2/ Serials are missing : No 006...
"

So neither solution is perfect.
There is a fundamental problem of sharing serial numbers across 2 machines
that can't be fixed by software.

73

Jim
GM0NAI / GM7R