[UK-CONTEST] Aircraft Reflection

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 03:42:32 PDT 2011

Morning John,

You're correct in your assumption re hills. I find that I get an increase in
signals from fairly near stations when aircraft go over here at lower
levels, under 10,000ft. I'm assuming it works like having a much higher
antenna! The effect seems more noticable on 6 & 4 metres, although
occasionally on 2m.

I'd also assume a reasonable amount of erp would be needed on the higher
bands for repeatable success. Your average 100w and 9 ele on 144 wouldn't do
the job most of the time. Though I've not done any sums on the subject. I'd
like to be proved wrong though.

73

Bob G8HGN