[UK-CONTEST] RSGB CC and SCCs

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Mon May 9 01:01:31 PDT 2011

The Contest Committee will be discussing next year's calendar this
Sunday, when we have a face-to-face meeting.  As a general rule, we
announce contest dates in advance, but in some cases say that particular
contest rules are under review.  Many dates are already fixed,
particularly on HF (and for IARU events on VHF), because of
international considerations, but others can be more variable.  We will
try to get the 2012 calendars out a bit earlier this year.

Among other topics, we will also look at the question of special calls
(GR, for example), so that we can be better prepared if and when new
calls are announced. As you can imagine, the robot and adjudication
software are not geared up to associate GR9XXX with G9XXX, and things
would have to be changed again if GF9XXX became a legal prefix, for
example.  Most of us reading this reflector can work out what is allowed
in general rules, or know to ask for advice, but the folks who enter the
UKAC and 80m CCs are frequently newcomers, and not connected to
mainstream contesting.  They need encouraging without too much
feather-bedding.

At the moment, the HF and VHF rules on special calls are different,
which ought to be clarified. Of course, there are good reasons for this,
in that it can be seen as an "unfair" advantage on HF to be using a
special prefix, which the GR prefix illustrates.  And we have to accept
that there are likely to be all sorts of unusual prefixes available for
the Olympics, some (all?) of which will probably give no indication of
the "country" (or entity) for DXCC and contesting purposes.  Add to this
the rules on SCCs, which even Ofcom are not always clear about, and we
have a couple of matters to discuss!

73,

Ed, GW3SQX
Chairman, RSGB Contest Committee