[UK-CONTEST] SSB FD M0VSQ/P

Iain Kelly iain at m0pcb.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 13:46:34 PDT 2011

Ken,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. The 'group' consists of two or
three more experienced operators and roughly an equal number of
operators who have come from a mostly VHF FM background but who wished
to get stuck in to HF, which is, quite honestly, fantastic!

The aim for the SSB FD weekend was to not come bottom of the table and
to have a jolly good time while doing it. From my point f view we've
been successful on both counts. As Darrell said there are many lessons
learned, which is also a very positive outcome. Initial planning is
already under way for CQWW SSB in October. I really don't think 30 feet
is high enough for the tri-bander, so next time we will attempt a 50
foot mast, and hopefully leave ourselves adequate time to make sure the
beam is working correctly, from ebay to contest was about 2 weeks and
considering that it had a complete overhaul whilst I was working full
time we did the best we could. ;-)

Myself, I am a CW operator, but did quite enjoy SSB FD. I am hopeful
that as more members of M0VSQ learn CW that we'll also be able to
partake in those events, and potential some RTTY events too.

We have discussed short contest call signs, though I did have a look at
the application form and I'm not sure we really meet the criteria just
yet, but perhaps someone here can clarify whether that would be a
problem or not?

The actual score from the raw log are:

Contest         : IARU Field-Day R1 (RSGB)
Callsign        : M0VSQ/P
Mode            : PHONE
Category        : Multi Operator - Single Transmitter (MS)
Overlay         : Open
Band(s)         : All bands (AB)
Class           : High Power (HP)
Zone/State/...  :
Locator         :
Operating time  : 20h16

  BAND   QSO DUP DXC  POINTS   AVG
----------------------------------
    80    85   0  10     401  4.72
    40   270   7  37    1093  4.05
    20   190   5  36     716  3.77
    15    27   2  14      79  2.93
    10     2   0   1       6  3.00
----------------------------------
TOTAL   574  14  98    2295  4.00
==================================
       TOTAL SCORE : 224 910

Dupes are not included in QSO counts neither avg calculations

Operators       : M0PCB M0SPF M0TAY G0HVQ M0GEJ 2E0OKK G0NXA
Soapbox         : First effort of this fledgling contest group, much fun
was had and many lessons learned for future entries in the open category.

Interestingly all the dupes that were worked were ones that called us,
one station in particular worked me 3 times for some reason.

For once the sun shone at time of station build and then again at pack
down, with some rain over Sunday night. Amazing...

So, after a bit of a waffle I'd like to think this might inspire another
'group' or individuals to give it a go. Until last weekend I was still
sceptical that we could pull off an entry in the open section but it was
worth the effort and it got everyone out together playing radio.

73, see you on th air!

Iain M0PCB o.b.o M0VSQ