[UK-CONTEST] 144MHz Trophy - lack of UK activity

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 05:53:09 PDT 2011

Hi,

David raises a valid point, not all stations are on the band at all times.
Plus for a 500+ km contact to take place you've both got to be beaming in
the right direction. Many stations were doing 6 hours only, so they could be
on at any time, then there's the casual op's who come on when they can, and
the Backpackers mid Sunday morning to finish time.

You both could be calling CQ or both searching, either way you won't make a
contact.  A lot of the continentals will beam inland for long periods, as
that's where the most potential contacts are for them. They may not beam
your way when you're active. Many variables to consider.

For me, doing a 6 hour stint, the WX and conditions seemed to favour
Saturday over Sunday, so that's when I operated in two 3 hours sessions,
Saturday afternoon shortly after the start and the evening form about 1830z.
I suspect more casual ops would have come on Sunday, but that's just my
opinion. My tactics were S&P as calling CQ with 50W in a major contest
doesn't bring the rewards, and there are more Europeans to work than UK at
considerably longer distances, from here in JO01. With 6 hours only it was
the best way to maximise the score. Other contests need different tactics.

What's going to change it? Not a lot I fear. If you're a new group you need
a good site, most are "taken" or full of comms anennas. So you go to a site
you feel might work, try it out don't feel you've done well, and go HF.

I do look for GM, but with not too many on the band, and weak here, it's a
law of diminishing returns. I did work Stewart and GM4ZUK/p. Whether anyone
else was active I don't know. Nothing heard from EI/GI this time.

I felt there was good EU activity and fair UK activity on flat band.

73 Bob G8HGN