[UK-CONTEST] 144MHz Trophy - lack of UK activity

Stewart GM4AFF stewart at gm4aff.net
Thu Sep 8 13:28:07 PDT 2011

David,

"Always"...?! I really don't get that.

GM4ZUK/P was QRV - hope you didn't log GM3ZUK! GM4ZUK/P had three more
antennas than me and was 1300ft higher. Also, I worked my last station at
1913 (PC5T) although I continued tuning and calling until 2000 (yes, 47
minutes without a QSO!), so our paths probably didn't cross. And that's the
problem.
There are many factors involved in two stations making a QSO, and I try to
maximise those factors within my limits. Up here we could get away with an
antenna that rotates through 40 degrees or less. Those 40 degrees would need
to be in a certain general direction, and yes, it's south. When I lived in
Dorset many of the DX stations I worked in contests were around a bearing of
100 degrees. I know what it's like - the most productive area will get your
attention.  In fact two antenna systems (and two amps and two radios as
well) are better than one down there. But in spite of sweeping the horizon
and the band you will still return after a sweep, to calling CQ beaming in
the most productive direction. Meanwhile the stations up north are still
there (unheard), and have now come out of the QSB, or returned from working
someone else on another frequency, or staggered back from the fridge (mine
is within 10 ft) with another beer, etc. ;-)

73
Stewart
GM4AFF